My nearly 3 year old is getting very fussy about what he will eat. He used to love food and would eat anything I put in front of him.
I used to be quite strict with snacks only giving him cakes and biscuits sweetened with fruit, then sugar started creeping into his diet. I wonder if this is part of the reason he has become so fussy?
So I am trying to cut out sugary snacks and get back to the treats which I used to make.
Here is a fruit muffin recipe from a book called ‘Yummy’ by Jane Clarke.
Makes 18 small muffins
- 30g very soft butter or dairy free margarine ( I use Vitalite)
- 4 tablespoons honey or maple syrup for under 1 year olds
- 3 eggs
- 40ml sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon Good oil (optional)
- 50ml milk or your choice of dairy free milk
- 480g plain flour (gluten free – 240g gluten free plain flour, 120g cornflour, 120g ground almonds – sieved together 4 times with the baking powder)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (or gluten free baking powder)
- large handful of crunched cornflakes (gluten free cornflakes)
- 2 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- 1 apple, grated
- zest half lemon
- 100g blueberries
- 100g raspberries
- 2 ripe bananas, squashed
Preheat the oven to 180°c/Gas Mark 4.
In a large bowl mix together the butter and honey. Add the eggs and beat until smooth, then add the oils.
Put all the remaining ingredients apart from the fruit in another bowl in the order in which they are listed, mixing a little in between additions.
Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet, combining all the time but lightly as possible. The less you beat the flour, the fluffier your muffins will be! Finally add the fruit and stir through.
Spoon the mixture into paper cups in a muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
I find I need to add a little more liquid until it is a thick batter. The muffins freeze well and defrost really quickly.
You could change the berries for other fruits. I keep bags of frozen fruit in the freezer for this which are also handy for fruit smoothies.
The muffins have gone down surprisingly well.
Yummy by Jane Clarke is available through Amazon – click here to find out more