Shortbread - makes 12 x 3in round biscuits
- 70g caster sugar
- 150g dairy free margarine
- 100g gluten free flour
- 100g ground almonds
Need some advice on ingredients see -
The wheat, gluten and lactose free store cupboard
- Preheat the oven to 180°c / 350°f / gas mark 4.
- Mix the sugar together with the dairy free margarine until combined.
- Mix in the gluten free flour and ground almonds and bring together to form a dough.
- Roll out ¼ inch thick and stamp out shapes using biscuit cutters.
- Place onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper brushed with oil.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes and leave on the baking tray to cool. Sprinkle with caster sugar.
Gem's hints and tips
Gluten free biscuits are quite fragile so be gentle when lifting.
Shortbread can be used in many desserts or made into many variations.
Add 50g dairy free chocolate chips to the dough before rolling out.
Sandwich two smaller shortbread biscuits with jam.
Substitute 100g ground almonds with 100g ground hazelnuts and continue as above.
For nut free shortbread, substitute the ground almonds for maize flour or cornflour.