Pesto Rolls - Makes 8 rolls
- Pesto – 30g pine nuts, 50g crumbled tofu, 1 small clove garlic, 3 tablespoons fresh, chopped basil, olive oil, salt and pepper
- 200g gluten free plain flour
- 100g cornflour
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 4 tsp psyllium husk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 4 tsp (2 x 7g sachets) dried yeast
- 40ml olive oil
- 400ml lukewarm dairy free milk or water – just warm, if the liquid is too hot it will kill the yeast
Need some advice on ingredients see -
The wheat, gluten and lactose free store cupboard
- Heat a small frying pan. Toast the pine nuts and leave to cool.
- Place all of the pesto ingredients into a food processor and blitz until smooth. Add olive oil a little at a time to loosen the ingredients. Taste for seasoning.
- Mix together the gluten free flour, cornflour, ground almonds, xanthan gum, psyllium husk, salt, caster sugar and yeast in a large bowl.
- Measure the olive oil and water together.
- Pour the liquid into the flour and beat until smooth. The mixture should just be able to fall from the spoon.
- Roughly stir in the pesto.
- Use an ice cream scoop or large spoon. Dip into a jug of water to stop the mixture sticking. Scoop the mixture and place onto the baking tray to make 8 rolls, leave space in between to allow for the rolls to rise.
- Wet your fingers and mould each roll into the shape required.
- Leave in a warm place to prove for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c / 400°f / gas mark 6.
- Bake for 18 minutes until golden brown. Tap the bottom of a roll. It is cooked if it sounds hollow.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack. Place in an airtight container and eat within two days or freeze and eat within 3 months.