Onion and Herb Rolls - Makes 8 rolls
- ½ medium onion
- 200g gluten free plain flour
- 100g cornflour
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 4 tsp psyllium husk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 4 tsp (2 x 7g sachets) dried yeast
- 1 tbsp fresh mixed herbs, finely chopped
- 40g dairy free margarine, melted
- 400ml lukewarm water – just warm, if the water is too hot it will kill the yeast
Need some advice on ingredients see -
The wheat, gluten and lactose free store cupboard
- Grease or line a large baking tray.
- Slice or chop the onion. Cook the onion in dairy free margarine until soft and golden. Leave to cool.
- Mix together the gluten free flour, cornflour, ground almonds, xanthan gum, psyllium husk, salt, caster sugar, yeast and mixed herbs in a large bowl.
- Pour the liquid into the flour and beat until smooth. The mixture should just be able to fall from the spoon.
- Stir in the cooked onion.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a large spoon. Dip into a jug of water to stop the mixture sticking. Scoop mixture and place onto the baking tray to make 8 rolls, leave space in between to allow for the rolls to rise.
- Wet your fingers and mould each roll into the shape required.
- Leave in a warm place to prove for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c / 400°f / gas mark 6.
- Bake for 18 minutes until golden brown. Tap the bottom of a roll. It is cooked if it sounds hollow.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack. Place in an airtight container and eat within two days or freeze and eat within 3 months.