Mincemeat - enough to fill five 400ml jars
- 200g raisins
- 200g sultanas
- 200g currants
- 200g wheat free mixed peel
- 2 cooking apples, peeled and chopped finely
- 200g Demerara sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons gluten free plain flour
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 200g white vegetable fat (Trex)
- 25ml rum
- 25ml brandy
Need some advice on ingredients see -
The wheat, gluten and lactose free store cupboard
- Mix the first 9 ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir in the gluten free flour to coat the fruit. Stir in the lemon and orange zest and juice.
- Preheat the oven to 120°c / gas mark ¼. Place the mixture into a deep ovenproof dish with the white vegetable fat and warm in the oven until the fat has melted.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool, stirring occasionally. Ensure the flour is mixed in. When cold stir in the rum and brandy. Leave overnight to allow flavours to develop.
- To sterilise the jars – clean five glass jars in hot soapy water and dry with a clean towel.Place the jars in a moderate oven (160°c / 325°f / gas mark 3) for five minutes to ensure they are sterilised.
- Fill the jars with the mincemeat while the jars are still hot.
- Cover with a plastic coated lid. The fruit can corrode a metal lid.
Gem's hints and tips
Delia Smith recommends warming the ingredients to coat the fruit in the fat. I follow this advice after I had a case of fermented apples!
I always use vegetable fat in my mincemeat as I find beef suet sometime solidifies once the mince pies are cooked and cold, yuk! Plus it will be suitable for any vegetarian friends too.
Use to fill mince pies – see sweet pastry recipe. Replace the jam with mincemeat in a Bakewell Tart or in shortbread.
Why not try…
Mix with apple or pear to make a gorgeous fruit crumble or decorate the jars and give as presents. There is nothing better than homemade mince pies at Christmas.
This mincemeat is also suitable for vegetarians and vegans if made with white vegetable fat, vegan brandy and rum.