Date and Banana Slice - serves 12
- 300g chopped dates – check gluten free
- 1 ripe banana
- 300ml water
- 375g dairy free margarine
- 180g caster sugar
- 250g gluten free plain flour
- 250g ground almonds or cornflour
Need some advice on ingredients see -
The wheat, gluten and lactose free store cupboard
- Place the chopped dates, bananas and water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat and leave to cool.
- For the shortbread
- Mix the sugar together with the dairy free margarine until combined.
- Mix in the gluten free flour and ground almonds and bring together to form a dough.
- Line a 12 x 8in brownie tin with greaseproof paper.
- Press half of the dough into the bottom of the tin. Bake at 180°c / 350°f / gas mark 4 for 15 minutes.
- Cover with the date and banana mixture.
- Place the remaining dough onto a piece of parchment paper which is bigger than the brownie tin.
- Roll out onto the parchment until it is the same size as the brownie tin and of an equal thickness.
- Get somebody to help you. Each hold two corners of the parchment and turn over onto the date mixture.
- Manoeuvre into the right place, rub over with your hand to make contact with the date mixture then peel off the paper.
- Mark into portions and sprinkle caster sugar over the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool before slicing into portions.
Gem's hints and tips
If you can’t find maize flour then cornflour is easily available and makes a good substitute. There isn’t much difference but I do prefer maize flour. See resources.