Caramel Slice - serves 12 - 24
- 250g gluten free plain flour
- 250g ground almonds or cornflour
- 375g dairy free margarine
- 180g caster sugar
- 260g caster sugar
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 130g dairy free margarine
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- 160g dairy free plain chocolate
Need some advice on ingredients see -
The wheat, gluten and lactose free store cupboard
- Preheat oven to 180°c / 350°f / gas mark 4. Line a 12 x 8in brownie tin with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the sugar together with the dairy free margarine until combined.
- Mix in the gluten free flour and ground almonds and bring together to form a dough.
- Press the shortbread mix into the tin and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Place the caster sugar in a large saucepan with a drop of water – enough to moisten the sugar. Place over a medium heat and boil to a caramel colour. Do not stir the sugar while it is heating or it will crystalise.
- Take off the heat and stir in the coconut milk. Be careful as the sugar will spit. Stir until the caramel has dissolved in the milk. You may need to put the pan back onto a low heat to do this.
- Leave to cool. When the mixture is warm, stir in the dairy free margarine.
- Spread the caramel over the shortbread and leave to set.
- Melt the chocolate and spread over the caramel. Leave to set before cutting into 12 – 14 pieces.
Gem's hints and tips
If you can’t find maize flour then cornflour is easily available and makes a good substitute. There isn’t much difference but I do prefer maize flour. See resources.