Brown Bread - 1lb loaf
- 100g brown rice flour
- 100g buckwheat flour
- 100g cornflour
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar
- 4 tsp psyllium husk
- 4 tsp (2 x 7g sachets) dried yeast
- 40ml sunflower oil
- 400ml lukewarm dairy free milk or water – just warm, if the water is too hot it will kill the yeast
Need some advice on ingredients see -
The wheat, gluten and lactose free store cupboard
- Grease a 1 lb loaf tin, put a spoonful of rice flour into the tin and coat the sides. Tip out any excess flour.
- Mix together the brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, cornflour, ground almonds, xanthan gum, psyllium husk, salt, caster sugar and yeast in a large bowl.
- Weigh the dairy free margarine and melt in a microwave. Measure the water.
- Pour the liquid into the flour and beat until smooth. The mixture should just be able to fall from the spoon.
- Spoon into the loaf tin. Wet a spoon and level the top of the loaf.
- Cover and leave to prove in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c / 400°f / gas mark 6.
- Bake for 35- 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Lift the loaf out of the tin and tap the bottom. It is cooked if it sounds hollow.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack. Place in an airtight container and eat within two days or freeze and eat within 3 months.