Apple Shortbread - serves 14 - 18
- for the Filling
- 25g dairy free margarine
- 2 cooking apples
- 50 – 100g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- for the Shortbread
- 375g dairy free margarine
- 180g caster sugar
- 250g gluten free plain flour
- 250g ground almonds
Need some advice on ingredients see -
The wheat, gluten and lactose free store cupboard
for the Filling
- Peel and slice the cooking apples.
- Melt the dairy free margarine in a saucepan and add the apple.
- Cook until soft. Mix in the sugar and cinnamon. You may need to adjust the amount of sugar depending on how sweet the apple is.
for the Shortbread
- Preheat oven to 180°c / 350°f / gas mark 4.
- Mix the sugar together with the dairy free margarine until combined.
- Mix in the gluten free flour and ground almonds and bring together to form a dough.
- Line an 8in x 8in brownie tin with greaseproof paper.
- Press half of the dough into the bottom of the tin.
- Bake for 15 minutes, leave to cool.
- Cover with the apple mixture.
- Place the remaining dough onto a piece of parchment paper which is bigger than the brownie tin.
- Roll out onto the parchment until it is the same size as the brownie tin and of an equal thickness.
- Get somebody to help you. Each hold two corners of the parchment and turn over onto the apple mixture.
- Manoeuvre into the right place, rub over the parchment with your hand to stick the shortbread to the apple, then peel off the paper.
- Mark into portions and sprinkle caster sugar over the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Leave to cool before slicing into portions.
Gem's hints and tips
To make this nut free – substitute the ground almonds for maize flour or cornflour
Why not try…
Use gluten free mincemeat in the place of the apple for a tasty shortbread.