Apple and Ginger Cake - - 8 inch round cake
- 340g gluten free self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 225g dark brown sugar
- 100g coconut oil, melted or dairy free margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 220 – 240ml soya milk or your choice of dairy free milk
- 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks
- golden syrup
Need some advice on ingredients see -
The wheat, gluten and lactose free store cupboard
Line an 8 inch cake tin with baking parchment. Preheat oven to 180°c / gas mark 4.
Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Measure together the wet ingredients then stir into the dry ingredients. It should be the consistency of a smooth thick batter.
Stir in the chopped apples.
Pour into the cake tin and bake for about 30 minutes until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool for 15 minutes in the tin before turning out onto a plate then onto a cooling wire so it cools the right way up ( The sponge could break in half if you leave it to cool upside down).
Warm a little golden syrup and pour over the cake.